For Immediate Release
October 25, 2016
CARP shocked by revelation of alleged serial killer in southwestern Ontario long term care facilities.
The Canadian Association of Retired Persons wishes to publicly thank investigators from the multi-jurisdictional task force of the Woodstock, London Police and OPP for responding so diligently with their investigation into these alleged crimes.
Seniors can often be considered “less than” in our society, which can leave them vulnerable to abuses and in these unfortunate cases, to a series of first degree murders over a period of seven years. This crime highlights the ongoing societal issue of abuse of our elderly citizens. The eradication of the victimization of our vulnerable seniors continues to be a top priority for our association.
“CARP recognizes the tremendous care that thousands of nurses and personal support workers provide to seniors living in long term care facilities across Canada. This tragic crime is in no way reflective on those who endeavor to provide comfort and dignity to seniors in their final days,” said Anthony Quinn, Director, Public Affairs, CARP.
“CARP reminds everyone that these crimes are no less odious nor less tragic than any other violent death of any other citizen in our society. The age of the victims and their medical condition should play no part in how our justice system pursues those who violate the laws of our land and cause harm to another,” said Wade Poziomka, CARP Policy Director and General Counsel.
These victims were a valued part of our community, and CARP sends our condolences to their family and friends at this time of sorrow.
CARP wishes to acknowledge the names of the victims of this alleged crime:
- James Silcox, 84, a resident at Caressant Care, died Aug. 17, 2007
- Maurice Granat, 84, a resident at Caressant Care, died Dec. 23, 2007
- Gladys Millard, 87, a resident at Caressant Care, died Oct. 14, 2011
- Helen Matheson, 95, a resident at Caressant Care died Oct. 27, 2011
- Mary Zurawinski, 96, a resident at Caressant Care died Nov. 7, 2011
- Helen Young, 90, a resident at Caressant Care died July 14, 2013
- Maureen Pickering 79, a resident at Caressant Care died March 28, 2014
- Arpad Horwath, 75, a resident at Meadow Park died Aug. 31, 2014
For more information contact: