May 26th, 2018 was the launch date of CARP’s Stand Up Straight community campaign.
Chapters from across Canada participated in walking activities and will continue with health promotion and group physical activities throughout the year.
“Amble around Lake Aquitaine”
Date: Saturday, May 26, 2018
Time: 9:00 AM, Registration and Light Breakfast – 10:00 AM, Warm-up and Walk
Distance: Maximum 1.5 KM. All levels of fitness and ability are welcome!
Location: Meet behind Meadowvale Community Centre
6655 Glen Erin Drive, Mississauga, ON L5N 3L4
Advanced registration is required for the free breakfast:
email: [email protected]
“Doors Open Toronto and Liberty Village Walk”
Inviting everyone to join us for a tour of the MZTV Museum of Television www.mztv.com and Toronto radio stations, AM740 (60s, 70s, 80s) and Classical FM 93.3 www.zoomerradio.ca as part of Doors Open Toronto.
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM 70 Jefferson Ave. Toronto, ON.
May 26th is also CARP National Walking Day, as we promote the importance of physical activity to ensure that we age as healthfully as possible. So join us for a walk through Liberty Village and a VIP tour of Moses Znaimer’s ZoomerPlex, Radio Stations and Unparalleled collection of Televisions. More info on Doors Open at the ZoomerPlex: http://www.zoomerradio.ca/blogs/station-blog/zoomerplex-open-doors-open-toronto-2/ CARP National Walking Day: http://www.carp/ca/standupstraight
The date is Sunday, May 27th
The times are: 10.00 am, 12.00 noon, 2.00 pm, 4.00 pm.
The duration is 1-1/2 hours
St. John’s Newfoundland and Labrador
Calling all CARP members, family, and friends in Newfoundland Labrador! Join CARP NL as we celebrate the kick off to CARP’s “Stand Up Straight” campaign. CARP Chapters across Canada are hosting CARP’s National Walking Day on May 26, 2018 (rain date: May 27) to highlight the importance of regular, moderate physical activity for Canadian seniors as the most effective means to improve health and well-being.
CARP NL will sponsor a champion led walk by Linda Longerich and David Budden on Saturday, May 26, 2018 around the walking trail of Kent’s Pond in St. John’s. The walk will follow a leisurely pace, along a well maintained and low intensity trail. Participants are asked to meet by 10:45 AM, in the far corner of the Confederation Building east end parking lot, directly across from the College of the North Atlantic campus. Wear clothes appropriate to the weather, ensure you have on sensible walking shoes and bring your water bottle. The walk will start at 11:00 AM, there are benches along the route for rest breaks, we will feature a “seek and find” scavenger hunt, and will have some prize giveaways.
For CARP members and friends who live outside the area of Kent’s Pond, we encourage you to hold your own walk on May 26, invite friends to walk with you, take some pictures and send us a summary of your adventure with highlights and pictures. To submit, send to [email protected]
British Columbia (walking links)
North Fraser, BC
- Jane’s Walks New Westminster– organized walks led by community members; starts up in spring.
- New West Walks – based at Centennial Community Center – meets every Wednesday at 14:30 for an hour-long informal (and free!) walk. Usually starts at Centennial’s registration desk, but check the Events Calendar on this website for details and possible changes
- Century House Walking Club – (no web link) – for members of Century House (50+). Meets every Friday at 9 a.m. at the 6th & 6th Royal City Mall entrance. The walk schedule is posted on the Century House notice board. They use transit to access various walks in the Lower Mainland.
- Walk With Your Doc – annual walking event sponsored by the Doctors of BC, usually held in early May, with walks organized across BC. 2018 is May 5-13
- Step by Step New West – a free 12-week walking program for those affected by Parkinson’s Disease and their supporters.
- Centennial Community Centre walking group – Wed 2:30 pm, Centennial CC, 65 East 6th Avenue
Queensborough Nordic Walking group meets on Tuesday mornings at 9:00am for a walk around the beautiful Queensborough neighborhood. Nordic poles are provided and the program is free. More info: Organizer: [email protected]
The Cameron Community Walking Group, based out of Burnaby’s Cameron Rec Center (9523 Cameron St), holds bi-weekly walking sessions : Tuesdays 5:30pm and Saturdays 10:30am. Walks are free and all are welcome … to walk a variety of routes on the City’s East side…. all walks are ~1 hour in length.
Outsetters : hikes and walks ranging up to 15 km in length, mainly around the Lower Mainland, the North Shore mountains and Sea to Sky corridor.
Jane’s Walk Burnaby, BC is organized by the City of Burnaby . To learn more about local Jane’s Walks or to lead a walk, contact the City of Burnaby, Transportation Planning Department at [email protected].
Coquitlam – Thu. May 10 Move For Health Day (World Health Organization event) free:
- Guided walk Dogwood Pavilion – Mundy Park with environmental educator 10-11:30 pgm 625315
- Casual walk Glen Pine Pavilion – Lafarge Lake 12-2 pgm 617669
Coquitlam – Glen Pine Pavilion and Dogwood Pavilion both have a Nordic walking instructor certified by Urban Poling. Nordic Walking Beginner (poles provided) $25.40 for 4 sessions
- Dogwood Wed. 11:15-12:15 May 9-30 or June 6-27
- Glen Pine Sat. 10:30 – 11:30 May 12 – June 2 or June 9-10
Meetup.com – requires membership and may expect computer access:
- Coquitlam Meetup 45+ does other activities beyond walking
- Tri Cities Walking & Social Group
- Sunday Walkers Senior Walking Group – Mundy Park, Coquitlam
Happy Wanderers Walking Club welcomes all singles 45+ for walks in the Tri-Cities and Ridge Meadows areas; meet every Saturday at 9:15 a.m. Info: Marilyn, 604-463-8874.
There are free indoor walking circuits at:
- Port Moody Recreation Centres
- Poirier Recreation Centre, Coquitlam
- Coquitlam Centre Mall
Port Coquitlam city support for walking. Including maps and:
- Mon: Noon: Downtown PoCo (The Outlet, Leigh Square) 604.927.8400
- Tue: 9:30 am: Women’s Group (Hyde Creek Rec Centre) Pippa, 604.941.8465
- Wed: Noon: Downtown PoCo (The Outlet, Leigh Square) 604.927.8400
- Thu: 9:30 am: Women’s Group (Wilson Centre) Pippa, 604.941.8465
- Interested in starting a walking group? Contact us at 604.927.7983 or[email protected] and let us help you get started.
Maple Ridge – Pitt Meadows
Maple Ridge municipal support Our goal is to increase the active participation of Maple Ridge residents through walking
Haney Place Mall (Tri-Hard) Walking Club
Valley Fair Mall Walking Club
Singles over-45 walking group meets Saturdays, 9:15 a.m. at Pitt Meadows rec centre for walks in Tri-Cities and Ridge Meadows areas. Info: Graham, 604-464 1839.
Happy Wanderers Walking Club welcomes all singles 45 and older for walks in the Tri-Cities and Ridge Meadows areas; meet every Saturday at 9:15 a.m. Info: Marilyn, 604-463-8874.
Stride to Thrive Walking Group and Indoor Walking Club – Anne, 604-466-4920
Greater Vancouver Area
Surrey Trekkers Volkssport Club are a non-profit and we have organized walks Wed/Sat/Sun mornings at 10:00 am. All over the Lower Mainland They have had / will have walks in our area April 2, 4, 8, May 9, 12, 21, 27, ….. First five walks are free, then it’s $1 or $2 per walk.
Doug Jackson 604-597-3920 [email protected]
Urban Poling , based in North Van, offers discounts to CARP members.
Trails – sortable list for Greater Vancouver
Walk BC government support for walking groups in general
www.volkssportingbc.ca provincial association
www.walks.ca Canadian Volkssport Federation