REPORT OF CARP CHAPTER 7 WINDSOR-ESSEX AGM, MAY 21, 2015
We welcomed at the 2014 AGM, a new Board of 12 persons; Co Chairs were established; Co-Chair Bruce Draper took a leave of absence to cope with cancer treatment; all board members took on some committee work in the areas of communications, activity planning, representation on United Way and Hospice and a Pension forum, and reaching out to the county and retirement agencies. (Chartwell)
- First event was the International Seniors Day at City Call co-sponsored by local Unifor; snacks provided by Chartwell, LaSalle., presentation made by Chair;
- Next event was a social and presentation at the Tecumseh Legion Hall
- Chartwell, LaSalle sponsored the next event at their facility on aging and safety
- Leamington Senior Centre was the site for a session on seniors
- Advocacy is the priority of National Office and we have made several initiatives to promote causes on retirement finance security (with a Unifor group promoting better CPP, etc.), health and wellness (sessions for medical graduates during their geriatric rotations), A CHARTER of support for palliative and long term care for city agencies (Hospice) and moving forward with a Sept. a conversation on assisted end of life care.
- Benefits and Community promotion and activities are in progress especially promoted by the Central Office, United Way involvement and local efforts to support a proposal for a Mega hospital.
- The Chapter is also continuing to manage our membership data and communication in a more personal and targeted manner by means of email and phone calls.
- A cultural shift in participation rates was noticeable in the low to modest attendance but perhaps communication deficiencies were a cause.
- we need to concentrate on promoting membership attendance at all events by means of more advanced communication
- finalize the work on the membership rooster and contacts
- work/partner with strategic local and county efforts to improve the lives of seniors/the aging
- combine social and advocacy efforts in a more inviting manner
- enhance our participation in Carp recruitment efforts
- plan for at least four public events in a 12 month period
NEW BOARD & OFFICERS
Chair: John Meyer
Deputy Chair: Shirley Lessard
Secretary: Dorothy Davis
Treasurer: Terry Hall
Directors: Maureen Curtis, Larry Duffield, Sylvia Flanagan, Andy Moro, Caitlin Shanahan