We have a crisis in long-term care in Canada.
CARP has long advocated for government action to safeguard our vulnerable elders.
Now and moving forward, we need a commitment from governments to eradicate the systemic vulnerabilities exposed by COVID-19 which threaten residents in long-term care. Since the coronavirus hit long-term care homes, CARP has been actively calling on government to prioritize care for seniors.
Here are a few select stories summarizing our commentary:
In order of most recent stories first:
- VIDEO CLIP: CARP demands governments stop “warehousing seniors” in care homes
- AUDIO CLIP: Families are grappling with a difficult choice when a long-term care bed finally opens up
- New rules could lengthen wait for nursing home beds
- Families having second thoughts as nursing home beds become vacant
- AUDIO CLIP (Zoomer Radio): TESTING AT LONG-TERM CARE HOMES AND MORE
- AUDIO CLIP: CARP comments on when long-term care homes lose their license to operate
- VIDEO CLIP: CARP comments on the recent turnover of senior leadership in hard-hit long-term care homes
- AUDIO CLIP (Zoomer Radio): ONTARIO GIVES GO AHEAD FOR FAMILY VISITS TO LTC HOMES AND MORE
- We must protect seniors’ access to justice
- Should triage guidelines be revisited ahead of a second wave of COVID-19?
- AUDIO CLIP: Should Ontario unveil which LTC homes are high risk?
- EVERYTHING ZOOMER: As Ontario’s Long Term Care Death Toll Rises, Ombudsman to Investigate Role Played by Ford Government
- CARP on the East Coast comments on the outbreaks in Nova Scotia long-term care
- AUDIO CLIP (Zoomer Radio): CARP talks to Libby Znaimer about the explosive military report on long-term care
- VIDEO CLIP: CARP comments on the shocking report on long-term care by the Canadian Armed Forces
- VIDEO CLIP: CARP comments on the Ontario independent commission into long-term care
- AUDIO CLIP: CARP comments on resident safety in for-profit vs non-profit homes
- Niece calls uncle’s treatment at Rosslyn Retirement Residence ‘disgusting’
- AUDIO CLIP: CARP in BC comments on the problems plaguing long-term care and the importance of fully-funded vaccinations for residents
- AUDIO CLIP (Zoomer Radio): ONTARIO’S LONG TERM CARE CRISIS, Part 2
- AUDIO CLIP (Zoomer Radio): MANAGING ONTARIO’S LONG-TERM CARE CRISIS
- EVERYTHING ZOOMER: Will Nursing Home Lawsuits Over COVID-19 Handling Spark Positive Changes to How We Care For Our Elderly?
- AUDIO CLIP: CARP comments on the need to protect seniors in long-term care as we look toward a new flu season
- AUDIO CLIP (Zoomer Radio): CARP talks to Libby Znaimer about how Canada needs to keep focus on long-term care while the economy reopens
- Marissa Lennox: We can and must do better for our seniors
- AUDIO CLIP: CARP comments on the “laundry list” of issues impacting safety for residents in long-term care
- EVERYTHING ZOOMER: With Half of COVID-19 Deaths Linked to Long-Term Care Homes, Are Canadians Losing Faith in the System?
- VIDEO CLIP: CARP comments on the latest measures taken by provincial and federal governments to address the crisis in long-term care
- As Ontario shifts COVID-19 resources to long-term care, advocates ask what took so long
- AUDIO CLIP (CBC Radio): CARP on the recent onslaught of COVID-19 outbreaks in long-term care
- AUDIO CLIP (Global News): CARP on whether people should consider removing their loved ones from long-term care
- ‘Shocking disregard for human life,’ advocate says of long-term care home treatment
- Senior housing in the age of COVID-19: Fighting the deadly battle in congregate living homes
- More mask use needed in Nova Scotia long-term care homes amid coronavirus pandemic: advocate
- ‘No benefit’ to sending seniors ill with COVID-19 to hospital, some nursing homes tell loved ones
- Ontario woman takes husband out of long-term care home despite knowing he may lose his bed
- Concerns grow over staffing Ontario long-term care centres