March is Fraud Prevention month. Please click on the following links from the Halton Regional Police Service where you will find tips for residents or caregivers regarding Frauds and Scams.
- Learn about your consumer rights and the protection available to you under the Consumer Protection Act
- There are many known scams, pitches and fraud types, including variations thereof, with new ones invented daily. Browse this section for a list and description of common ones. Also refer to the Little Black Book of Scams for further tips.
- The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (formerly known as PhoneBusters) is Canada’s national anti-fraud call centre and central fraud data repository. It was established in January 1993 and is jointly operated by the Ontario Provincial Police, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Competition Bureau.
- Shopping Online or over the phone – Advice on shopping online or over the phone – Know your rights when shopping online from local and international websites, and learn how to be safe when buying from telemarketers.
- How to avoid or recover from identity theft – What to do if you’re a victim of identity theft and the steps you can take to keep your personal and financial information safe.
Information posted March 4, 2016