Long Term Care in Newfoundland and Labrador

* A couple 65 years of age or older applying for home support currently must complete a financial assessment of their combined income and expenses. If this couple has an income of $2,000 per month and $900 of eligible expenses, they are expected to contribute $1,100 per month in order to receive subsidized home support. Under the new income-based financial assessment this couple will be required to contribute less than $150 per month.

* A single individual with an income of $1,000 per month and allowable living expenses of $700 is currently required to contribute $300 per month toward the cost of home support services. Under the new income-based financial assessment, this same individual would not be required to contribute toward the cost of the services. In the case of the person for whom the initial inquiry was made, if she is now single, she will be allowed, as of July 1, 2009, to maintain $10,000 and be eligible for subsidization based on her income (dependant on her income being less than $2800 per month). If her savings are more than $10,000, she will be expected to contribute the full $2800 toward her board and lodging. Further, upon application, most long term care homes request a financial statement for the past year. If large sums of money have been transferred, then usually there is an expectation to explain or prove that the funds have been transferred – in this case to her granddaughter.

In addition, the personal care allowance of $125 per month has been increased to $150 for residents living in personal care homes, long term care homes and residing in the community. The Department is in the process of developing a summary to share with the public outlining the changes about to occur.

I hope this is helpful. If you have further questions please feel free to contact myself at 729-4957 or my secretary Sharon Day at 729-4856 and she will connect you with one of our
consultants. Suzanne Brake, Director, Office for Aging and Seniors, Department of Health and Community Services, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, Box 8700, St. John’s, NL, A1B 4J6 (709)729-4957. (709)729-3151 (fax), 1-888-494-2266 (toll-free)