Article posted April 2011
Please see the following invitation. Please let us know if you would like to become involved on behalf of CARP Halton Chapter.
The Accessibility Directorate of Ontario will be presenting a series of six regional forums for municipal Accessibility Advisory Committees (AACs) in spring 2011. The theme of the forums is “Actioning Accessibility through Customer Service”.
The target audience for the forums are municipal officials and staff that are involved in accessibility and economic development activities, AACs and municipal seniors’ committees, as well as representatives of business and seniors’ organizations.
The schedule of the regional forums is as follows:
1. Thunder Bay, May 3, Valhalla Inn
2. North Bay, May 5, Best Western Hotel and Conference Centre
3. Burlington, May 9, Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Centre
4. London , May 12 ,London Convention Centre
5. Ottawa, May 17, Travelodge Hotel Ottawa and Conference Centre (bilingual)
6. Toronto, June 16, Sheraton Centre
The objectives of the regional forums are:
* To bring municipal AACs together to share information, good practices and resources on engaging local businesses for compliance with the Customer Service Standard.
* To engage representatives of seniors’ organizations to learn more about how accessibility standards impact the aging population.
* To provide an update on the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and its Customer Service Standard and our next three accessibility standards.
An advisory group, which includes representatives of municipal AACs and seniors’ organizations, has been meeting since January to provide advice on the content, format and resources for the forums.
Program highlights will include an update on the AODA, and keynote speakers on universal design as well as community engagement.
A panel representing municipal AACs, seniors’ and business organizations, and roundtable discussions will offer opportunities for networking and information sharing.
I encourage you to extend this invitation to the members of your Accessible Advisory Committee, local Economic Development Committees, and any seniors’ groups in your community.
Registrations for the forums will open mid-March at www.ontario.ca/AccessON. Faxed registration will also be accommodated upon request.
Questions regarding the forums may be directed to the Accessibility Directorate via any of the following:
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 416-326-0207 Toll Free: 1-888-520-5828
TTY: 416-326-0148 Toll Free: 1-888-335-6611
Original Signed By:
Assistant Deputy Minister