Your Communications Director April Lewis and new Vancouver Westside Chapter chair, Jeffrey Sefton attended the recent Diabetes Education Forum in Vancouver.
We had plenty of interest from forum participants about CARP and how our National Office and Chapters throughout Canada are working on advocacy issues that are important to our members. The issue most on their mind was health care.
Did you know?
- An individual living with diabetes can pay up to $5,000 annually in out-of-pocket expenses for prescription medications, devices and supplies because they do not have an extended healthcare plan.
- The risk of developing type 2 diabetes rises with age
- 80% of Canadians with diabetes die from a heart attack or a stroke
- 42% of new kidney dialysis patients in 2004 had diabetes
- Diabetes is the single leading cause of blindness in Canada
- 7 of 10 non-traumatic limb amputations are the result of diabetes complications
- 25% of people with diabetes suffer from depression
- The life expectancy for people with type 1 diabetes may be shortened by as much as 15 years
- The life expectancy for people with type 2 diabetes may be shortened by 5 to 10 years
CARP continues to have a collaborative relationship with the Canadian Diabetes Association.
April Lewis/Jeffrey Sefton