Editor’s Note: On February 1st, 2013 we received a Notice from the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee on Powers of Attorney & Substitute Decision Making. The notice contained some very useful information and resources – we have reproduced it for you convenience.
The Public Guardian and Trustee has produced a number of brochures that will answer many of the frequently asked questions relating to mental incapacity and decision making. These brochures are designed to help people plan ahead, and include information on powers of attorney and living wills, the Substitute Decisions Act, 1992, property guardianship, and the role of the Public Guardian and Trustee in providing Health Care.
By planning ahead and making a power of attorney, people can make sure that their wishes will be carried out in the event that they become incapable. Anyone can make copies of the brochures and Power of Attorney kit and access frequently asked questions and answers through the following links:
- Power of Attorney Kit (Contains forms for Continuing Power of Attorney for Property and Power of Attorney for Personal Care as well as well as Information on these topics
- Powers of Attorney and Living Wills – Questions & Answers, FAQs
- Guide to the Substitute Decisions Act
- Providing Property Guardianship Services
- Role of the Public Guardian and Trustee in Providing Health Care
You can reach the Public Guardian and Trustee’s Office through their Toll Free Phone at 1-800-891-0502 or visit their website by clicking here