Copied from GRAVENHURST TOWN NOTICES published April 9th, 2015 in the Examiner-Banner but is so important that we didn’t want anyone to miss this post.
In Ontario 39% of fire injuries between 2009 and 2013 were the result of unattended cooking.
Your Gravenhurst fire fighters offer these tips to keep you and your family safe:
- Look while you cook, stay in the kitchen when cook.
- Keep a proper fitting pot lid near the stove when cooking, if a pot catches fire, slide the lid carefully over the pot and turn the stove off. Do not move the pot.
- Wear tight fitting, short or rolled up sleeves when using the stove to prevent clothes from coming in contact with burners.
- Keep combustibles well away from the stove area.
- Keep children well away from the stove, and make sure there are no cords or towels dangling near the stove that could be pulled by children.
- Treat a burn by running cool water over the wound for 3-5 minutes. If the burn is severe, seek medical attention.
- Always, have working smoke alarms and practice home escape plans!
For more information contact fire prevention officers in your local community.