CARP presented its recommended priorities to the Ontario Ministry of Finance, as the province looks to prepare its budget for spring 2017.
Among CARP’s asks:
Increased Investor Protection:
- A best interest standard that eliminates compensation-related conflicts of interest
- The elimination of embedded fees
- Legislation to enable self-regulatory agencies to collect fines owing.
Restoring sanity to Ontario’s electricity rates:
- An immediate reduction in hydro rates for low-income seniors
- The elimination or reduction of peak charges, at least for low-income earners
- A progressive rate system that rewards those who conserve power while charging more to high energy users.
Support for Caregivers:
- The introduction of a caregiver means-tested allowance of $100 per week
- Increased funding for respite care
Funding for Homecare:
- Increased funding for homecare delivery
- Standardized reporting to highlight deficiencies and promote equitable services for all Ontarians