Tax Tips

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has a section specific those who have retired or turned 65.  The section includes the most common types of income you may start to receive and have to include on your income tax and benefit return. This list is not exhaustive.

Other tax credits not listed in the link above:

Attendant care and care in a facility

Canada Caregiver Credit

Disability Tax Credit

Public Transit Tax Credit

Home Accessibility Tax Credit

Why file taxes if I don’t owe anything?

Some seniors may not owe taxes and may decide not to file their taxes.  CARP urges all seniors to file their taxes, even those who do not owe any taxes. Your eligibility for many important federal and provincial supports and benefits, including the new Canada Dental Care Plan, Guaranteed Income Supplement and Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters, is based on your annual income tax return.

How do I file my taxes?

You can file your taxes online or by paper, or find other options such as having someone else complete them for you.
Click here to learn how to get ready to do your taxes

Free Tax Clinics

The Canada Revenue Agency has a directory of local organizations offering free tax clinics. Some clinics that are currently operating may complete and file taxes for free, by videoconference or by phone. To find a clinic in your community, check the regularly updated directory:
Find a free tax clinic