Fire Safety and You

GET OUT….AND STAY OUT…. that’s the best advice if you encounter a fire in your home. Get yourself and your loved ones out. Most deaths due to fire occur in the home. NEVER go back into a burning building. Let the trained Fire Department personnel fight the fire

Don’t be fooled. Even a small fire is dangerous. Fire and Smoke spread rapidly. REACT PROMPTLY.

In our homes today there are many products that contain plastics, foams, paints, laminates, adhesives, etc. The list goes on. These products ignite quickly; fire spreads rapidly and burns very violently.

Smoke from these fires contains deadly toxic gases that quickly displace oxygen. Inhaling these gases will quickly impair your ability to think and to act. You will become confused, disoriented and blinded. You will no longer be able to take the necessary actions to save yourself or your loved ones. Many lives are lost through the deadly effects of fumes, even from small fires.

Heat and deadly gases are the main killers. Open stairways will act as a chimney allowing heat and fumes to rise to the highest level.

REMEMBER…. ….the smoke WILL get you even if the flames do not.

Statistically Seniors are at greater risk. Take the time NOW to ensure you home is safe and follow the safety tips listed below. It is vital that you take every step possible to prevent a fire in your home. The following are the most common safety tips, but check your home and ensure there are no fire hazards that are putting your life in danger.

Install Smoke Alarms on every floor and adjacent to ALL sleeping areas.

Smoke Alarms will provide an early warning of fire. Smoke Alarms are required by law. Smoke Alarms should be installed at least on every floor in your home and adjacent to ALL sleeping areas. NEVER disable a Smoke Alarm. Only working Smoke Alarms will alert you and save your life.

Smoke Alarms also have a life expectancy of around 10 years. Check your alarms and replace them once their life expectancy is reached.

Carbon Monoxide is a particularly deadly gas that has no smell. In addition to Smoke Alarms Carbon Monoxide alarms are also recommended on each floor.

Never leave cooking unattended.

Stove top cooking is a leading cause of fire. It is easy to forget that you have something cooking on the stove. Turn of the burner if you must leave the stove. If a pot does catch fire, put a lid on it to smother the flames if you can. Never use water on oil or grease fires.

Avoid loose fitting clothing while cooking.

If your clothing does catch fire, smother the flames. You may need to drop to the floor and roll to smother the fire.

Give heating appliances space.

Use caution around heating appliances. Make sure the surrounding space is kept clear at all times.

Candle Safety.

Candles are another leading cause of fire in the home. If possible avoid using real candles, choose instead battery powered flameless candles. When using real candles never leave an open flame unattended. Candles are easily knocked over by yourself and your pets. Place candles in a deep non-combustible container so that the flame tip cannot come into contact with things such as loose clothing.