In Halton Dial 211

By Regional Chair Gary Carr October 15, 2008

Why not take advantage of Halton Region’s new three-digit telephone lines to simplify your tasks at this busy time of year? Whether you need information about community services or access to the services provided by the government partners in Halton, you can simply dial 211 or 311.

People have told us that they are often confused about who to call given the many government and not-for-profit agencies providing services in Halton Region. 211 and 311 mean less time needs to be spent searching through the blue pages.

211 and 311 are programs funded and delivered by Halton Region through its call centre, Access Halton. Both 211 and 311 services have been implemented to embrace multiple languages and multiple access technologies including TTY, or text telephone, for deafened, hard of hearing or hearing-impaired individuals. Services are available in more than 170 languages.

211 provides information and referral services on community, health or social services in Halton, regardless of who provides the service. Dial 211 for free confidential information available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year on:

* Finding a family doctor * Children and youth services * Residences for seniors * Finding a support group * Obtaining legal assistance * Employment training programs * Applying for financial assistance * Language training programs … and more

311 provides direct access to Halton Government Services. Dial 311 from within Halton to request a service or receive general information from:

* Halton Region * City of Burlington External Link * Town of Halton Hills External Link * Town of Milton External Link * Town of Oakville External Link * Halton District School Board External Link * Halton Catholic District School Board External Link * Halton Regional Police Services External Link (non-emergency calls)