Article posted September 20, 2011
Halton Region recently announced a Region-wide 12-month pilot project called Subsidized Passes for Low Income Transit (SPLIT) in which low income residents, including seniors, can apply for a subsidy to help with public transit
The following link describes the Region’s announcement. The key point is that they only plan to issue a LIMITED NUMBER of these passes.
Please note that these passes will be issued on a “first come first served” basis.
Details of this program can be found on the Halton website. Please click on the following link:
The following are some of the key points of this program and are quoted from the Region’s website:
- There are a limited number of passes available for the pilot.
- SPLITpasses will be issued on a first come, first serve basis.
- To be eligible you must be a Halton resident and have an income below the Low Income Cut Off (LICO) to be eligible for theSPLITpass.
- You must book an appointment for an in person meeting to determine if you are eligible for the program. (Dial 311 or 905-825-6000)
- To apply you must have a 2010 Notice of Assessment (from your taxes); if you are a senior you must have proof of age to determine eligibility for the seniors fare.
- SPLIT passes cover 50% or more of the cost of a monthly transit pass (bus) in Burlington, Milton or Oakville.
- The SPLIT pass cannot be applied to GO Transit, taxi services, etc.
- SPLIT users in Burlington and Oakville will benefit from a transfer agreement which will allow them to travel into Hamilton or Peel Region using “transfers” so long as the trip is completed within a two hour period.
- The SPLIT pass covers 50% of the cost of an adult monthly transit pass.
- For seniors over 50% of the cost of the monthly transit pass is covered. The full percentage depends on the community where the transit pass is issued.
- The SPLIT pass does not apply to Handi-van and other services for people with disabilities at this time. During this pilot project Halton Region will work with the transit companies to determine how best to respond to the needs of people with disabilities.
- Halton Region are currently assessing applicants for a SPLIT pass that would start October 1, 2011.
- SPLIT passes will be issued in the last week of the month for passes valid in the following month