One in five single seniors lives in poverty. One in six older adults experiences elder abuse every year. Protections for investors and pensioners in Canada significantly lag those in other OECD countries. Do you want to change this reality and make Canada a better place to grow old?
Join our advocacy team as our Advocacy Coordinator and work to secure excellent healthcare,financial security and freedom from discrimination for Canadians as we age.
About the Role
CARP advocates for older Canadians directly and through chapter volunteers by conducting advocacy campaigns, meeting with key government staff and officials, and informing and engaging our members on critical issues.
Working directly with our Surrey, BC based VP of Advocacy, in this hands-on role you will be responsible for:
- Assisting in the development and execution of web-based campaigns for CARP’s regional and chapter priorities to create awareness and drive action for CARP’s advocacy;
- Coordinating key projects and events to further CARP’s advocacy agenda;
- Conducting research and preparing briefs on key issues impacting older Canadians;
- Drafting media releases;
- Providing administrative support to the VP Advocacy including coordinating meetings and correspondence with key external stakeholders;
- Other related (writing, administrative or project management) duties as required.
Skills, Education and Other Requirements
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and able to work in a small office environment.This position requires:
- Knowledge of issues related to ageing or older Canadians;
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in relevant discipline;
- Superb writing skills,including the ability to write quickly in plain English with flawless grammar;
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills;
- Ability to work in an environment with tight deadlines and competing priorities;
- Ability to manage projects with multiple tasks, contributors and deliverables;
- Ability and willingness to work with volunteers;
- Knowledge and familiarity with website content management (wordpress);
- Knowledge of campaign tools (such as nation builder or do-gooder) would be an asset.
The salary range for this position is $40,000 –50,000. Benefits include 3 weeks of vacation and participation in CARP’s health and dental plan.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter, resume,selected writing samples and salary expectations to Allison Wilson, Director of Human Resources at [email protected] by July 30, 2018. All short-listed applicants will be given a hands-on test in an exam-like environment.
CARP is a national, non-partisan, non-profit organization that advocates for financial security, improved health care and freedom from discrimination for Canadians as we age. With over 300,000 members and 40 chapters across Canada, CARP plays an active role in the creation of policy and legislation that impacts older Canadians.
CARP works closely with all levels of government and collaborates with other organizations to advocate on health and financial issues. CARP uses the media and enlists members’ voices to increase its clout as an effective advocate.
Our offices are at 204, 5668 192 St, Surrey.
For more information see www.CARP.ca